Re: spiped 1.2.2 released

On Fri, Nov 16, 2012 at 8:49 AM, Colin Percival <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:
On 11/15/12 09:58, James Turner wrote:
> When I submitted the updated port to the OpenBSD mailing list I had the
> following build warning pointed out that I didn't previously notice:
>
> ../lib/events/events_network.c:222: warning: incompatible implicit
> declaration of built-in function 'memset'
>
> On OpenBSD, the FD_ZERO macro uses memset so, events_network.c needs:
>
> #include <string.h>
>
> to remove the warning. I wish I noticed this before the release, but the
> warning didn't jump out at me from the rest of the compilation output.

This is a bug in OpenBSD -- <sys/select.h> is specified as providing FD_ZERO
and no caveats are mentioned about also needing to include <string.h>:
  http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/

> I'm not sure if this is a header worth including just in case or
> something I will just have to patch in my port. Either way it's probably
> not worth doing another point release, I can always remove the patch if
> you decide to include the header at a later date.

Unfortunately the headers in OpenBSD are not very POSIX-y (I keep hitting this while trying
to steal/port code to Linux :), however there has been/is ongoing work towards fixing this.

I suggest you contact Philip Guenther (guenther@openbsd.org) has he has been
very active in fixing up issues like this.

I'm not going to add an #include which POSIX doesn't require.  Whether you
add a patch to spiped in the OpenBSD ports tree or fix OpenBSD or simply
ignore the warning is entirely up to you. :-)

> Thanks again for spiped and especially tarsnap!

You're welcome!  Thanks for helping to make them more widely used.

ciao, thorduri.