Re: spiped build issues on OS X

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 6:46 PM, Dominyk Tiller <dominyktiller@gmail.com> wrote:
> My gut feeling is that it pulls where to look for the libcrypto from
> the $PATH? That'd be expected behaviour.

It picks up the system libcrypto from the default include/lib paths,
which are /usr/include and /usr/lib, respectively.

> If someone was to download OpenSSL, and build it with the prefix say
>
> /usr/local/OpenSSL but NOT to link it into either /usr/bin &
>
> /usr/include or /usr/local/bin & /usr/local/include (Both screw with
>
> building software on OS X) and then for the purpose of building and
>
> using spiped temporarily exported /usr/local/OpenSSL to the $PATH,
>
> that should work.

No, changing PATH won't work. You'll have to pass in -I
/path/to/openssl/include and -L /path/to/openssl/lib.

> I'm not sure if that would stick though or whether they'd have to
>
> export the $PATH each time. Is there a way to test which OpenSSL
>
> spiped is using at runtime? Does it remember the libcrypto it was
>
> built with, or does it latch onto the first one in the $PATH each time?

You can use otool -L /path/to/spiped to verify that it's using the
version of OpenSSL you're expecting.

> To be honest, I'd probably just recommend that if someone wants to
>
> build this package on OS X they should use the MacPorts or Homebrew
>
> build instead. Doing so facilitates spiped with the bsdmake it prefers
>
> and a reliable, updated, secure OpenSSL.

Yeah, I agree. I'll try to come up with some language to put in BUILDING.