Re: spiped build issues on OS X

On Sat, Aug 30, 2014 at 7:13 PM, Frederick Akalin <akalin@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I agree. I'll try to come up with some language to put in BUILDING.

Here's some example text to put into BUILDING. Feel free to edit
mercilessly; I'm not sure what level of detail is appropriate for that
file.

On OS X, the version of OpenSSL included with the system is deprecated
and outdated (0.9.8y), and it is recommended that spiped be built with
an updated version of OpenSSL. The easiest way to do this is to use
the Homebrew spiped package, which builds with Homebrew's (updated)
OpenSSL. Otherwise, you can install OpenSSL via MacPorts, Fink, or
manually and build with:

make CFLAGS="-I /path/to/openssl/include" LDADD_EXTRA="-L /path/to/openssl/lib"

Be careful! If you make a mistake, the build will most likely just
fall back to the outdated system OpenSSL and still succeed. Your only
indication that this has happened will be deprecation warnings for
declarations in /usr/include/openssl.

You can verify that your built spipe/spiped was linked with the
correct version of OpenSSL with otool, e.g.:

$ otool -L spiped/spiped
spiped/spiped:
/path/to/openssl/lib/libcrypto.1.0.0.dylib (compatibility version
1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current
version 1197.1.1)

If you see 0.9.8 instead of 1.0.0, you didn't link to the correct
version.