Re: retry/append/restart restores ? Re: Speeding up slooooowwww extractions

On Thu, 27 May 2021, at 11:04, hvjunk wrote:
> SO, my next issue that pops up is the ability to restart/append a file
> busy being extracted when the tarsnap process gets killed/etc. during
> the restore.
> I don’t see anything in the manual page so wonder where that is
> documented if at all?

does --retry-forever help?

> ( and yes I’ve started an instance in Canada to be closer to the
> tarsnap USoA for the restores, yes, seems to be about double the speed,
> but still <50% after 24hours for a 100GB file extraction ;( )

https://www.tarsnap.com/improve-speed.html

The only sensible option for performant tarsnap restores of large files is:

- splitting the archive *before* it goes to tarsnap
- parallelised recovery
- into AWS server running in US S3 hopefully in the same network area
- then move to the expected location

I hacked a script here https://git.io/vdrbG "works on my machine" and
makes a number of assumptions including path length that may bite you.
It won't help you restore a single large file, but it does help for
many large-ish files.

The moment we introduce pipes and splitting in shell scripts, is the
moment when, years later, we find that the split tool truncates at 64-bit
size, and data has been irrecoverably lost. tarsnap really should be able
to handle this scenario natively and sensibly. In all other respects its
my preferred choice for backup & recovery of Stuff That Matters.

A+
Dave