Re: Tarsnap died

On Mon, Mar 4, 2024, at 9:28 PM, Scott Wheeler wrote:
Tarsnap is the only important service we use with a billing system this inane … and people have been complaining about it for at least a decade.

To me the audience for Tarsnap is the privacy minded part of the public. Having payment details on file sort of contradicts the mission. That's (I'm guessing) why tarsnap is 100% pre-paid.

You're free not to use it, or create your own process for regularly topping up the balance. Heck, you could even put $50 there and probably have a lifetime of storage (it's been a while since I used tarsnap, but back when it was /dirt cheap/ and I imagine storage costs have not increased significantly over time.

Just my $0.02