Re: Multithreading support?

Colin,

Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thanks for the prompt reply. I was unaware of the metadata cataloging Tarsnap does, so that should make subsequent backups very quick as you suggest.

Regards,
Seth

On 8/24/17, 3:35 AM, "Colin Percival" <cperciva@tarsnap.com> wrote:

    On 08/23/17 17:40, Seth P. Garrepy wrote:
    > The backup is a flat-file dataset containing assorted documents, videos,
    > and audio files. I am trying to assess my initial costs, since I started
    > with you guys very recently, before I send my initial backup over the wire;
    > I am running it in a dry-run mode at the moment. The raw size of the
    > dataset is 2.3TB running on a RAIDZ2 volume consisting of 4x4TB WD Red NAS
    > drives (SATA3), 16GB of buffered ECC RAM, and an i3-4360/3.70GHz CPU. Once
    > the initial backup is sent, there will be little overall change in the data
    > (less than 0.5-1% change daily). Most of the change will be in the folders
    > that deal with my business documents, unless a family video or two gets
    > uploaded by my wife.
    >
    > Does this information help?

    Yes.  So, the fact that it takes a while to chew through that data is normal,
    but it's probably not all that important anyway since you probably wouldn't
    be able to upload more than 50 Mbps anyway. ;-)

    Creating subsequent archives would be faster, since tarsnap can look at file
    metadata and figure out that the file hasn't changed -- thus avoiding the
    need to read the file and process it again.

    Does that make sense?