Re: Potential spiped 1.6.2 release -- please test

On Sat, Dec 11, 2021 at 11:55:06PM +0200, Peter Pentchev wrote:
> OK, so I could have checked before writing :) It turns out that spiped
> versions before 1.6.0 did work on the Hurd:
>
>   https://buildd.debian.org/status/logs.php?pkg=spiped&arch=hurd-i386

As a quibble, it's more accurate to say that "spiped versions before 1.6.0
**on hurd in 2017 and earlier** did work".  :)

Or maybe even "spiped versions **before we added a test suite in 1.6.0**
compiled on hurd in 2017".  (And it still appears to compile; the problem is
that at least one test fails.)

I mention this because my first instinct was to check if we'd changed anything
in libcperciva/util/sock.c since 1.5.0, and the answer is "not really".
Namely, the entire changelog for that file since 1.5.0 is:
- we now use parsenum instead of strol() to parse the port number
- we edited a few comments
- we changed some #includes
- we explicitly cast the port number (0 < p < 65536) to an (in_port_t) type.

I would be floored if any of those changes made something stop working.  :)

I've installed debian GNU/hurd into virtualbox, so I'll test your patches and
see if the basic idea can be converted into a more "libcperciva-esque"
solution.

Cheers,
- Graham