Re: Tarsnap GUI shows 0 data archived or backed up

> On Sep 7, 2017, at 2:54 PM, Scott Robison <scott@casaderobison.com> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 11:55 AM, Garance AE Drosehn wrote:
>>
>> De-duplication works great in some other situations because the other service is de-duplicating files across (say) 20 different Windows machines.  So the first machine may use up 10-gig of space, but all of the rest of the machines might have less than a gig of additional unique files per machine.  Tarsnap cannot do that kind of optimization across multiple machines.
>
> Depending on just how paranoid you are, and how disciplined you are,
> you can have multiple machines deduplicate to a common store, as long
> as you only have one running at a time.
>
> What you wrote does not preclude that from happening, I just wanted to
> point it out in case others might be interested in something like
> that.

Hmm. Yes, that's an interesting point.  I can see how that could be setup and work okay.  I hadn't thought about doing things that way, but I see how it could work as long as it was setup with care.

But I'm not going to do it for my own machines!  :)

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =  gadcode@earthlink.net
Senior Systems Programmer           or       gad@FreeBSD.org